North Korea tested a brand new round of short-range projectiles Tuesday, South Korean officers stated, hours after it signaled a willingness to resume hampered denuclearization dialog with the United States.
The launches were detected early in the morning by the South Korean army, which said they seemed to be short-range projectiles.
The tests came hours after Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui said in an announcement carried by state media that North Korea was willing to have “comprehensive talks” with the US in late September at a place and time to be agreed.
Choe warned that the US needed to present a brand new approach or the dialog could crumble again. A U.S. State Department spokesperson stated she didn’t have any talks to announce at that time.
Shares of South Korean construction companies with exposure to North Korea advanced after the declaration that North Korea was willing to restart discussions with the US and continued to gain regardless of the latest tests.
U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean chief Kim Jong Un met at the demilitarized zone (DMZ) between the two Koreas in June and agreed to restart working-level discussions that had been hampered since an unsuccessful second meeting between the two leaders in Vietnam in February.
Since the DMZ meeting; however, American officers said their attempts to renew a dialog had gone unanswered. North Korea has further conducted at least eight tests since then, usually with multiple missiles each time.
The U.S. special representative for North Korea, Stephen Biegun, spoke by telephone with his South Korean equivalent, Lee Do-hoon, on Tuesday morning, South Korea’s foreign ministry said.